Texas Instruments has unveiled the industry’s first fully integrated analog front end for both weight and body composition measurement (BCM). The AFE4300 is an easy-to-use, precision, low-power front end solution, which allows engineers designing weigh scales that incorporate body composition meters, body impedance analyzers, and impedance measurement equipment to get their products to market faster than by implementing existing, more complex multi-chip solutions.
The AFE4300 incorporates two separate signal chains, one targeting weight measurement and the other targeting body composition analysis, with a 16-bit, 860-sps analog-to-digital converter (ADC) multiplexed between them. The device’s three BCM channels enable segmental body impedance analysis (BIA) between body extremities, which allows for a full picture of the subject’s body composition. For information, samples and evaluation modules (EVMs), visit www.ti.com/afe4300-pr-eu.
Key features and benefits
· Easy to use for faster time to market: The AFE4300 integrates two separate signal chain front ends for weigh scale and dual body composition measurements into a single device, so that little to no in-house expertise is required to quickly add body composition measurements to weigh scales applications.
· Precision performance: The AFE4300’s tetra-polar measurements eliminate electrode impedance-related inaccuracies. In addition, the device’s three BCM channels enable segmental body impedance analysis (BIA) for measurement across the body including hand to hand, foot to foot, or even hand to foot, which increases overall measurement accuracy. The device also includes an option to accurately measure Extra Cellular Water (ECW) and Intra Cellular Water (ICW) using bio-impedance spectroscopy (BIS).
· Low power consumption: The AFE4300 consumes less than 1 mA, operating from a 2-V to 3.6-V power supply, to extend battery life.
Availability and pricing
The AFE4300 is available now in a 12-mm x 12-mm TQFP-80 package. It is priced at $2.50 in quantities of 1,000.
Tools and support
Designers can immediately take advantage of the AFE4300EVM-PDK (performance demonstration kit) by visiting www.ti.com/afe4300evm-pdk-pr. The PDK supports three tetra-polar impedance measurements; has on-board load cell and impedance simulation blocks; functions on USB-based power and PC application connectivity; and contains built-in analysis tools, including a virtual oscilloscope, histogram, and fast Fourier transform (FFT) on the PC application.
Learn more about the AFE4300 and other TI products for consumer medical applications:
· Download the datasheet and order samples at www.ti.com/afe4300-pr-eu.
· Order the AFE4300 EVM PDK at www.ti.com/afe4300evm-pdk-pr.
· Learn more about the AFE4300 by watching the video at www.ti.com/afe4300video-pr.
· View TI’s technical and product information for a variety of consumer medical and home healthcare applications, including: heart rate and fitness monitoring systems, blood glucose and other diagnostic meters, blood pressure monitors, and digital thermometers and download TI’s Consumer Medical Guide: www.ti.com/consumermedical.
· Learn more about TI’s full portfolio for medical applications at www.ti.com/medical.