Maxim Integrated Products, Inc. (NASDAQ: MXIM) today announced that it is now sampling the MAX31850/MAX31851 cold-junction-compensated, 1-Wire® thermocouple-to-digital converters. The devices achieve ±2.0 °C accuracy (not including sensor nonlinearity) while integrating all of the functions required for a complete thermocouple-to-digital solution.
Additionally, the MAX31850/MAX31851’s 1-Wire interface allows multiple sensor locations to communicate and draw power over a single data line, greatly simplifying wiring requirements. Designers can use the MAX31850 or MAX31851 instead of multiple discret e components for accurate temperature measurement in medical, industrial, and solar applications.
Because thermocouple output voltages are small and cold-junction compensation is needed to achieve accurate results, the digitization of thermocouple signals can be a challenge. The MAX31850/MAX31851 are the industry’s first solution to integrate a discrete analog-to-digital converter (ADC), a highly accurate reference, a temperature sensor for cold-junction compensation, and a 1-Wire bus interface into a single chip. The versatile converters operate with several types of thermocouples, speeding system design, lowering system cost, and reducing the bill of materials (BOM). The MAX31850/MAX31851 also identify open or shorted thermocouples that could result in erroneous temperature readings or system faults. A microcontroller can read the fault status at any time to help ensure uptime and prevent costly repairs.
- High integration and accuracy: converters achieve ±2.0 °C accuracy while combining multiple discrete component functions into a single chip.
- Simplified designs: the devices’ 1-Wire interface allows for a large number of devices on the same communication bus. Their four dedicatedaddress pins uniquely identify up to 16 sensor locations.
- Versatility: the MAX31850 is available for K, J, N, T, and E thermocouple types and the MAX31851 is available for R and S thermocouple types.
“The digitization of thermocouple signals poses a unique design challenge, especially when a large number of thermocouples are involved,” said Amy Gebrian, Senior Business Manager of Thermal Management Products at Maxim Integrated. “The MAX31850/MAX31851 greatly ease design effort and minimize system wiring by integrating a complete thermocouple digitizer circuit and a single wire interface into one IC.”
“Accurate temperature measurement is critical in industrial and medical equipment,” said Susie Inouye, Research Director at Databeans. “Products that enable high accuracy temperature sensing will become increasingly important for these industries.”
Availability and Pricing
- Available in a 10-pin, exposed-pad TDFN package (3 mm x 4 mm x 0.75 mm).
- Specified over the -40 °C to +125 °C temperature range.
- Pricing starts at $3.10 (1000-up, FOB USA).
+49 89 85 799-561